Michael Carmack wrote:

Can anyone else confirm this problem so I know I'm not crazy? I've tried many different configuration options, but cannot get this working.

Michael,

I just experienced the exact same problem and ran across you post when searching for a solution.

My server is running SuSE Linux 8.1 with Kernel 2.4.19 and Samba 2.2.8a. My client is SuSE Linux 9.1 with Kernel 2.6.5 and Samba client 3.0.4. I had folders on the smb share of our web server called phpScheduleIt (original extracted from tar) and phpscheduleit (live version). I made some changes in a file in phpscheduleit using vi on the server. Then I decided to open it up with Kate on my client via and smbmount. The changes were not reflected in the file I viewed with Kate. I made a change with Kate then viewed the file from the server and the changes were not reflected in vi. Then I saved the file to a new name with Kate and the file did not show up on the server with ls. I did a search on the server using find and found the newly created file was in phpScheduleIt and not phpscheduleit. Windows clients were working just find so I did an smbumount and remounted but still had the same problem. I then did an ls -lid via my client shell on the smbmount and it showed the two directories as having the same inode. I did the same on the server and they did not have the same inode. Then I used smbclient to connect to the share. If I typed "cd PHPSCHEDULEIT" or any other combination I ended up in phpScheduleIt.

   I decided to check the server.
# testparm | grep case
       default case = lower
       case sensitive = No
       preserve case = Yes
       short preserve case = Yes
       mangle case = No

I changed to "case sensitive = Yes" in smb.conf in the global section and retried the client. Now "cd PHPSCHEDULEIT" via smbclient failed as desired and "cd phpscheduleit" and "cd phpScheduleIt" took me where it was supposed. I remounted the share and ls -lid still showed the same inode for both folders. Also, "cd phpscheduleit" still took me to phpScheduleIt.

I read that the "case sensitive" option was share specific so I moved it to the share definition and retried the cd operations at the shell over the smbmount. Now I am taken to phpscheduleit with both "cd phpscheduleit" and "cd phpScheduleIt".

   Problem confirmed!

Jason Joines