Holger Krull wrote:

It's more like an ext3 question...
NTFS has create, modify, and access timestamps whereas
ext3 has change, modify, and access ones.

According to my experiments on NTFS:
'create' really never changed.
'modify' changes whenever file is saved.
'access' changes whenever property of the file (Permissions or its name) get changed.
reading file does not change any timestamp at least when I read a text file with Notepad.exe.

That's strange, because it should do just that, it does here. Are you shure you didn't set NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate in your registry?

Interesting... I've tried to read the same file today and it got access timestamp updated... Probably, there's some caching gets involved - that there some time have to pass before reading will result in access timestamp updated. And no - I don't have it set.

Igor