> > I just tested your settings and they seem to be working.
> > The auth takes much longer now, maybe because it is working.
> > When checking shares the getpwnam does not even get called any more.
> > I noticed many SMB_VFS, NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_OBJECT in the log, I guess
> > that let's me know VFS was complied in my binary.
> > How is the ldap.conf in the /etc/ directory different then the one found
> > in /etc/openldap/

There is a very simple way to determine this.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> rpm -qf /etc/ldap.conf
pwdutils-2.6.90-6
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> rpm -qf /etc/openldap/ldap.conf
openldap2-client-2.2.15-5

So you know from what packages came which file.

> > When I check the MAN page only /etc/openldap/ldap.conf comes up, I'm
> > curious about the other options I am seeing in the other ldap.conf
> > located in the /etc/ directory.

Look in the /etc/ldap.conf,  it should be very verbosely commented.

> > Most of the I can make an educated guess as to their function, but it
> > would be nice to have a verified definition of some of these parameters.

The PAM and NSS modules come from PADL (www.padl.com) you can download
the tgz's and look at the documentation they contain.