OK Christopher, samba is authenticating, if a bit oddly (some XP machines can use \\sserver\fsk others need to use \\ipaddy\fsk---not a huge problem).

However I don't think I'm grasping the "net groupmap" function. I was of the belief that if I did this:

net groupmap add ntgroup="nt-group" unixgroup=(some group in /etc/group), then ADS members in "nt-group" would be mapped to the unix group. Thus when I setfacl on that directory with the unix mapped group rwx, then ADS members of the nt-group would have rwx permissions.

However, when I log in to the share, the smaba server terminal burps up:

smbd[582] chdir (/home/FSK) failed

I must be missing something.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.