Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Gordon Russell wrote:

I have determined that members of the root group can logon to domain, no problem. If you are not a member of the unix root group, you are sol... file permissions somewhere not right? please, i dont want to have to add all my users to root group before tomorrow morning ;-) g

I would look for name resolution issues. Perhaps you have a bad wins.dat.
Also get a level 10 debug log from smbd and `grep NT_STATUS log.smbd | grep -v OK`. Then locate any messages in the log file such as ACCESS_DENIED, NONE_MAPPED, etc...

I had upped the debug level to 3 and started seeing NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD errors when users were failing to log in. I reset those users passwords in smbpasswd and passwd and everything works fine. At this point I have about 6 out of 50+ users whose passwords seem to have been corrupted for some reason. -- the root group logon was a red herring. As usual, thanks for the quick responses and great work

gordon