Seems like the 3ware adapter is the best solution along with using the LVM. I will look closely at this solution.
Thanks alot

Paul Gienger wrote:

I have a customer that is using 250 gig drives for his business data. I have been using rsync to keep mirror copies of his data on a second machine. In the last 3 months I have lost 2 of four drives, the last one being the system drive. I have been doing a manual switchover. Each time rsync runs, I copy my samba conf files, passwd, shadow and group files from etc. Has anyone setup a HA configuration for samba servers on separate machines. If so, where can I get information for this kind of setup?

This isn't going to answer your question, but...

I'm curious... has your client heard of RAID? It sounds like you would be well served with a simple set of mirrored drives.

The problem is he has an ata system. If we went with a raid, we would want a 0,1 raid. striped with mirroring and I can't find a raid ata card to do that.

http://www.3ware.com/products/parallel_ata.asp