One possiblity is to run a local dns server in location 'B'
hijack the one entry for the home server on that DNS and have
the ip# point to server 'B' instead of server 'A'
Just make sure your home directory path+server in smb.conf
is set to a hostname that requires DNS resolving and does not
use WINS or BROADCAST.

NOTE: This will only work for W2K and XP and W2K3 I believe.

Peter Huetmannsberger wrote:

Hi,

I have a smb pdc running which works quite well so far, and would like to know if this feature is possible.

I have two locations, and I want all users to authenticate on Machine A.
Howver there are some users that are closer to machine B, and I would like to be able to have the homes of those users on machine B rather than machine A (they should authenticate on machine A anyway).

Is this possible without a mount of the users (those I want on machineB) home directories on machineA.

Using the usrmgr.exe it looks like it should be possible to change the location of the homes (\\serverB\username), but the change does not take effect. I do not use ADS, just plain regular samba.

trying to set path = \\machineB\homes results in an ERROR message:

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Any help would be appreciated.

Mounting the share from serverB on serverA works perfectly all rght, it is not what I want though.

So far google and the big samba book have not found a solution.

Thanks,

.peter