Hello,

This is my first post to this list so if I break any rules be gentle :)

I will try to put in as much detail into this as I can, here I go:

We have a domain at work with Samba (samba-3.0.10-1.fc2) as the PDC. The Linux box is running FC2 as the rpm suggests running on a 2.6.5-1.358smp kernel.

The problems that we exhibit is that unless you have your domain account made a member of the administrators group on the workstation for things to work correctly, if your not various things break:

Desktop wallpaper displays when logging in then is replaced with a blue background default desktop Outlook won't run and reports "Outlook cannot start" when trying to run it (although Thunderbird works) Track-it won't run, it just simply hangs and then ends with Not responding

I've only experienced this during some kind of upgrade. It's typically the result of trying to load a profile that has a different SID. Always the best way to do these things (if running XP Pro) is to use the files and settings transfer wizard on client machines, do upgrade and reimport the profile into the user account. Of course on large networks this is not a good option. For larger situations, or if running nt4/w2k you need to keep your SID, and your user SID's.

How does making the user a local administrator cure this though?

Also, I thought this could have been something like that so what I did was remove all of the domain profiles from the workstation (by right clicking My Computer and going through Profiles and deleting them) and then I removed the machine from the domain and rejoined it again. This didn't solve anything though (as you will gather from me emailing the list).

Its almost as if a domain account doesn't have any rights on the machine. For example the My Documents mapping doesn't get done (it should remap to H:\ although this isn't in the netlogon script), I can't access the clock on the machine either, it complains saying "You do not have the proper privilege level to change the System Time".

Thanks for the swift reply,

--
Lee Ball
08707 45 87 14