I have been trying to get a share running for public access to part of a workstations hard disk. Realise now that this is not possible at userlevel security without a username, password pair. Part of my playing around involved creating on the machine user nobody, then setting guest account = nobody in samba.conf. Once realising i needed a passwrd pair I smbpasswd -X nobody and then userdel nobody from my machine as a prefix to setting up a valid user/pssword. Now samba fails on boot with the log reading

auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_sam(840)
User nobody in passdb but getpwnam() fails!

Checking passdb with pdbedit shows no users present

This problem is solved by creating a user account on the machine (useradd nobody), but I don't want spare users floating around as they are a security risk, particularly with such an obvious username.

I am running gentoo linux

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Huw