> This process has never required an smbpasswd file on any other system
> I've set it up on. Except this one.

I seriously doubt this. I *strongly* recommend you stop working on
your computer and go away and read this :

http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

This should help with some of the underlying concepts.

Hmm.. I guess I better call the last two places I set up Samba servers for, and tell them to stop using them because (according to you) they don't work.

You did however point out something I was overlooking, and need to reinvestigate. (a bit of a forehead slap on this one).

Beyond that: You are a poster child for the anti-open source software group. It's sad that a request for help is met with attitudes such as yours, and become confrontational.

Thanks for the help.