I am still trying to find out why my WinXP clients don't get a browse list except when they are directly connected to a subnet of the Samba server.
I now find that Win2000 clients work fine in this respect.
The reason is they request server info over port 139 whether local or in a remote subnet and always get a correct answer from Samba. The WinXP clients request over 139 locally but only over 445 when they are remote (Remote means connected via a router here. I do not know how they know whether they are remote or not, but they do.) It would seem that if port 445 gave the right answers then the XP clients would also function ?? I have now got some bad WINS entries in the Samba server. Can anyone tell me how to flush them (editing /var/cache/samba/wins.dat doesn't seem to do anything).

Thanks,
Bob