At 04/06/06 09:18, Chris Boyd wrote:
I ran the groupmap script

#!/bin/bash

net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=ntadmin
net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Users" unixgroup=users
net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Guests" unixgroup=nobody

 and was able to create the root account in pdbedit.
I've gotten the XP machine to join the UCD domain now. Although I'm still not clear what the groupmapping did.

It created a confluence of Windows admin and *NIX root. This allows either to be used in place of the other, but now things get hazy for me, and a Samba guru is going to have to supply clarity. I'm nearly as new at this as you.

<snip>

> Ok I've got it back to PDC by doing the "net rpc join PDC.It
> gave me a failed to join domain error but it shows as a
> domain PDC now.

That syntax would be right if you were trying to join a domain called "PDC"
Showing as PDC is only dependent of the smb.conf file.

According to my man page, this is the correct syntax for joining as PDC, not joining a domain called PDC. Setting <domain logons = yes> should make Samba be the PDC, also, but I've had trouble with this absent explicitly joining the domain as PDC, also, using the above command. This is either a bug in Samba (I've been using 3.0.14 and 3.0.21a), or it's a function of my newness and error rate at setting up samba servers. I lean toward the latter.
<snip>

The mode in which the inevitable comes to pass is through effort.
--Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr