On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Rob Tanner wrote:
It turns out that the problem is a Microsoftism since it only happens with Office documents. It also tiurns out that only if profile acls is set to 'yes' in smb.conf do you see the problem. Set it to 'no' and no problem. Wierd eh??

I believe I remember hearing somewhere that, instead of (the Win32
equivalent of) "open(); write(); write(); write(); close();", lots
of MS products first create a new file, then write the save data
to the new file, then remove the old file, then rename the new to
have the same name as the old[1].

The point being, when these apps are saving a file, they're not
updating an existing file; instead, they're CREATING a new file.
So, I would check if new files are created read-only by default;
maybe that is the real problem.

  - Logan

[1] There is some benefit to this approach: you've always
    got a complete copy of the file on disk at any given time,
    for one thing.