On 8/16/06, Kevin Gowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

To Whom It May Concern:

I really admire the dedication and effort your group has.  I am glad more
and more people aren't buying into the Microsoft licensing schemes.  Keep
up
the good work!

I would like to add the server I have installed to our Active Directory
Domain.  We have one Win2003 PDC no subnets very basic stuff.  I have read
many chapters in the official how to guide and would like to zero in on
the
appropriate section/s that will allow me to configure this
appropriately.  All my supervisor would like me to do is create a
fileserver
where no one has to type in their user name and password again when they
click on any of the shares.  I have tried (on the test bed) configurations
from different chapters and I still get user name and password when I
click
on the server or share.  The Server I have installed is Suse
10.0enterprise.

I would appreciate any help that you can provide.  Thank you for your time
and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,

Kevin G

Hey Kevin,

We are using our Samba server in the same way - File/Print in a W2K3 AD
single forest/domain. Definitely look at the AD section. I found the Samba-3
By Example book to be very helpful, too - Section 9.3.3 covers a file server
in an AD domain. Here's our config that is working just fine:

[global]
       unix charset = LOCALE
       workgroup = MYDOMAIN
       realm = MYDOMAIN.INT
       server string = Production File Server
       security = ADS
       allow trusted domains = No
       enable privileges = Yes
       username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
       log level = 1
       log file = /var/log/samba/%m
       max log size = 50
       deadtime = 15
       printcap name = cups
       wins server = 10.0.0.2
       ldap ssl = no
       idmap backend = idmap_rid:MYDOMAIN=10000-50000
       idmap uid = 10000-50000
       idmap gid = 10000-50000
       template shell = /bin/bash
       winbind separator = +
       cups options = raw

The only thing to be aware of is, for our config, I chose to use the
idmap_rid since I will end up having multuple servers and wanted to ensure
that the uids remain consistent. For this I needed to rebuild the Suse
10.0RPM to enable this. Make sure the server is correctly listed in
DNS (A
record in the AD domain) prior to adding it to the domain with the net ads
join command. Also ensure that ntp is running and keeping time in sync.

Steve