From: "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This is to be expected.  All unmapped users will
possess a SID in the S-1-22-1 domain and all unmapped
groups will be in the S-1-22-2 domain.

HOSTNAME\users would work for a mapped group.
BUILTIN\users would work if you have local builtin group
 called users (e.g. "net sam createbuiltin Users")

And it's not that I expect all of these to work, it's
more that I tried about any combo that I saw in the
logs :-). Though I believe that the +"Unix Group\users"
is nice to have in case I switch to PDC, cause
personally I like to be explicit in configuration files.

There problem is that if you create a group map entry
for HOSTNAME\users, "unix Group\users" will resolve to
a different SID and hence anyone actually in the users
group from /etc/group will have the HOSTNAME\users SID in
their token.

At this time we are *not* recommending that anyone qualify
names with HOSTNAME or "Unix XXX".  Samba will handle
the steps necessary to resolve the name, giving precedence
to mapped users and groups over unmapped ones.  You only
have to qualify domain names and groups in the BUILTIN domain.

I've got a long mail that explains we made this change
and we had a hard time with 3.0.23.  I'll try to send
it out next week.

Jerry,

Any headway on incorporating the patches into a 3.0.23c release that will help all of us that are running stand-along, no-winbind, simple smbpasswd setups?? I was never able to get the patches to apply properly and my manual compile messed up my ability to print with cups. (yes I compiled with --enable-cups) I have dropped back to the 3.0.20-SuSE rpms and it is working, but I would like to help get 3.0.23b fixed. Any word??

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC