I'm not sure when the last time I run smbpasswd to change the user password, however when I run it only change NT and LM hash attribute, not the unix passwd attributes.

smb.conf:
  passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://127.0.0.1";
  unix password sync = yes
  passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/passwd.pl %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

However it was working find (able to change unix as well as NT password) when I run from Windows client, such as:
c:\> net user example testonly /domain

This is incorrect, at least per (surprise) pdbedit documentation:
             Note

pdbedit does not call the unix password syncronisation script if unix password sync has been set. It only updates the data in the
             Samba user database.

If you wish to add a user and synchronise the password that im-
             mediately, use smbpasswd's -a option.

Ver: samba-3.0.20b

--beast