Now copying and accessing files is plenty fast, but when setting up
permissions on directories that contain 100 GB or so of files and
subdirectories takes like 60 minutes from the time I hit Ok to the
time the permission are applied and the box goes away.  This is being
set from a Windows client by the way (not using setfacl on the linux
box or anything).

Any idea why this could be so slow?  Setting permissions on the same
directories on the old Windows file server would take maybe a minute.

More than likely Samba is doing the equivalent of the 'Advanced' > 'Replace permission entries on all child objects...' option.

I guarantee you that if you did this on a Windows 2000/XP box on a directory that had 100GB of files in it, it would take just as long, if not longer.

--

Best regards,

Charles