Rick Cone,Secure Payment Systems wrote:
What would cause the "View Workgroup Computers" to be slow in coming up.
It will take from 10 seconds to 1 minute.
A am using Windows XP hosts with an SCO OpenServer using Samba in a
workgroup, and Samba is the preferred master (os 255) with WINS support.   I
have the Browser service turned off on all Windows clients.
Thanks, Rick Cone
Secure Payment Systems
Is winbind the first name resolution protocol for the server, or is it trying to get host names from hosts/DNS/NIS/NIS+/LDAP first? You have to fail down the chain until you get a positive name resolution, which could involve recursive lookups and such. Just a gut reaction to browsing problems. Also, I've had old hosts in my winbind cache that it tries to find and cannot - but that was under the outside influence of my own stupidity, I'm not sure that it can happen very well under normal conditions.