On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Helmut Hullen wrote:

Du (michaelh) meintest am 24.04.08:

You may set the SUID flag for "mount,cifs" and "umount.cifs" on the
server.

That could be a security hazard.

One mistake (from me): these flags must be set on the client. The client
tries to mount, and it uses its local "mount.cifs".

If we assume that cifs unix
extensions can be made to work, I could bring in my laptop which
contains a SUID root binary and mount it to my workstation.

But (regarding my error correction): ypu always can set the SUID flag on
your laptop's "mount.cifs"!

The server has to decide wether it will accept the mount try.

I think there's some confusion between setting /sbin/mount.cifs setuid, and
having suid as a mount option.

jh

--
"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
                                                     -- Robert Heinlein