Oops, I accidently sent this to Michael's own email, not to the list. Here it is again in the right place.

On 14/05/2008, at 9:48 AM, Michael Heydon wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,

Im trying to run samba as a non-root user and I was wondering if this is
even possible
No, it's not.

and if not what is preventing it from being ran as a normal
user??

You couldn't bind to privileged ports would be the big one. You might be able to modify the source so it runs on different ports (although that would mean windows systems couldn't connect, you might be able to coax another samba machine into it), you would then have issues with permissions (you couldn't suid/sgid to the connecting user).

Also, I think samba needs to be able to fork and execute.

It ought to be possible on Solaris 10 using privileges - I intend to test this myself in the next few weeks. (I currently have a DHCP server running successfully as a non-root user, binding to privileged ports etc etc).

I'll report my findings if anybody is actually curious.

--
Matt Skerritt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]