myron wrote:
I tried all the combinations. The furthest I get is

Linking bin/smbd
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1

Well that's definitely a linking error. If you got the same error with both sun ld and gnu ld then my best guess is that you have a broken shared library somewhere that samba is trying to link in. Most likely a package or library that you downloaded that was built on a newer OS than you have installed (Update releases and/or patches).

You can try doing 'ldd /usr/local/lib/*' (and wherever else you have 3rd party libs) and looking for similar-named missing dependencies.

I can't find that library on my system. Do you have a library by that name?

That library is part of samba. It should exist in ./bin of the samba source directory.

-Brian