Thank you both for your help!

I did download picard-tools 1.126, but am unsure how to run the command. I
believe this is what Jeff was trying to describe to me, but I miss be
missing something. When I click on your link, it redirects to this website (
http://www.actuate.com/info/sf-eds-nl-f-type-download/), and I am not sure
how that is related.

In any case, I tried running this:

java -jar picard-tools/1.126/CreateSequenceDictionary.jar
R=./Slal.Release.1.1.fasta O=./Slal.Release.1.1.dict

Unsurprisingly, I received this error:

Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
picard-tools/1.126/CreateSequenceDictionary.jar

I looked inside the picard-tools folder, and there are four files
(htsjdk-1.126.jar  libIntelDeflater.so  picard.jar  picard-lib.jar). Only
two of them seem to mention CreateSequenceDictionary in them:

picard/sam/CreateSequenceDictionary.class in picard-lib.jar

picard/sam/CreateSequenceDictionary.class in picard.jar

I am unsure how to form the syntax to create the .dict file from my .fasta
file.

Thank you again for any advice.

L. Rutter