Hi all,

I'm looking for some assistance with a Brother ADS-1200 scanner attached to a PC running Linux Mint V21 LTS, all patches applied.

The scanner *used* to work last time I used it, but it's possible that may have been under an earlier version of Mint. My next step is to try downgrading the operating system (booting an old image from a key drive) but I thought I would ask here first.

I've tried both Brother "support" - their response was "We can't reproduce it, it must be your computer" - and posting on the Mint support forums, which didn't produce any resolution to the problem.

I've tried both swapping out the USB cable and changing the USB port, and I've also tried reinstalling both Xsane (v0.999-11ubuntu1) and simple-scan (v42.0.1). I'm including the simple-scan details here purely as additional information, I know this is a sane-related list.

Both XSane and simple-scan identify the scanner as being connected, and function exactly as expected right up until the point when I actually hit the button to start a scan. When I do that, XSane immediately returns an error message "Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument", and simple-scan immediately returns a messge "Failed to scan. Unable to start scan".

Short of stepping back through the disk images I have of Mint until I find one that works, I am out of ideas. I don't have any kind of access to a Windows PC and I'm in a remote part of Maine, the only people I know with computers within 30 miles are running either Linux or whatever it is that Apple systems use.

Can anybody offer any ideas? If you need additional information about my system, just ask.

Thanks,

Brian.