On 07/09/14 01:04, Rob Locher wrote:
I posted to the list because I was having trouble scanning a black-and-white document with my Kodak 5100 AiO, and on Wed, 03 Sep 2014 10:34:58 -0700, NEWALL Paul <p.newa...@ntlworld.com> wrote back (I trimmed a bit to save space):

The kodak ESP AiO printers basically only scan in colour, and the gray
option is generated in software from the colour scan. It is possible that there is something wrong with the conversion to gray that needs to be fixed.
We could generate a lineart option in a similar way.
First, can you do a scan of your document using the colour option with
default settings? just to check that the white paper comes out
approximately white and the black ink approximately black. If not there may be something else that needs fixing to make the ESP5100 work before we can
do the conversion to lineart.

Hi Paul, and thank you for your reply. If you're one of those wonderful people who make useful software available to everyone for free, then thank you especially for that!

I did as you asked, and scanned the same document in color using the default settings. The results are somewhat psychedelic:
http://www.idiompress.com/misc/kodak-5100-aio-color-scan.png

The black comes out fairly black, but white isn't white unless it's near something black. No wonder I wasn't able to get a reasonable scan despite all my tweaking, if color settings were the problem but were unavailable to me in "gray" mode.

Regards,
- Rob

Thanks for the colour scan. It seems that I have the same problem, though much less strongly. I get a slight yellow speckle in the white areas. It's caused by a mistake in the colour correction curves, I was sending 255 points for each colour instead of 256.
I expect to have fixed that in a few days.

Paul