Hi,

I have a Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M225 dw printer/scanner. It's connected to the same wifi network as my Ubuntu 17.04 system, as well as physically connected via USB.

I was unable to get Simple Scan to see it (I get the "No scanners detected" banner), so I did some more debugging. It's visible to avahi:

 ~ • avahi-browse -a
 + wlp3s0 IPv4 FX DocuPrint M225 dw Internet Printer local
 + wlp3s0 IPv4 FX DocuPrint M225 dw _scanner._tcp local
 + wlp3s0 IPv4 FX DocuPrint M225 dw PDL Printer local
 + wlp3s0 IPv4 FX DocuPrint M225 dw UNIX Printer local
 + wlp3s0 IPv4 FX DocuPrint M225 dw Web Site local

sane-find-scanner can see the USB but not the network interface:

 ~ • sudo sane-find-scanner
   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

 found USB scanner (vendor=0x138a, product=0x0017) at libusb:001:006
found USB scanner (vendor=0x0550 [FX], product=0x0190 [DocuPrint]) at libusb:001:002 # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
   # can't be detected by this program.

...and scanimage -L can't see it at all:

 ~ • SANE_DEBUG_NET=128 scanimage -L
 [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of net to 128.
 [net] sane_init: authorize != null, version_code != null
[net] sane_init: SANE net backend version 1.0.14 (AF-indep+IPv6) from sane-backends 1.0.27git
 [net] sane_init: Client has little endian byte order
 [net] sane_init: searching for config file
 [net] net_avahi_browse_callback: CACHE_EXHAUSTED
 [net] sane_init: done reading config
 [net] sane_init: evaluating environment variable SANE_NET_HOSTS
 [net] sane_init: evaluating environment variable SANE_NET_TIMEOUT
 [net] sane_init: done
 [net] sane_get_devices: local_only = 0
 [net] sane_get_devices: finished (0 devices)
 [net] net_avahi_browse_callback: ALL_FOR_NOW

 [net] sane_exit: exiting
 [net] net_avahi_cleanup: stopping thread
 [net] net_avahi_cleanup: done
 [net] sane_exit: finished.

I've tried installing the libsane*-dev packages and upgrading to the packages in the rolfbensch/sane-git PPA, rebooting each time. No change in detection. I've confirmed that net is present and uncommented in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. Currently libsane is at version 1.0.27+git20170729-zesty0 (from the rolfbensch PPA).

What else can I try?

Cheers,
Jason