Satchmo already allows you to upload images to product variants so I would
just check to see if those images exist, then trigger the behavior. If
someone doesn't want to use it, then it would be a template change to yank
it out.

Using this method, you wouldn't need to do anything special with uploading
or naming images outside of the normal upload process. Basically it should
be a small modification to the product views and some jquery to make the
magic happen.

Just my thoughts without actually looking at any code.

-Chris