Okay...what if:

You create a template tag that is responsible for drawing the checkout button.
This tag would inspect the current user and see if they points to redeem.  If
so, rather than returning a link to the checkout, it would return a link to you
"redeem points wizard" which would have them select the number of points to
redeem.  Take those points, do the math, subtract the total from the cart and
forward them to the checkout.

Just a top of my head sort of thought...

Sent from my iPod