Hello,

following the indications published here[1], I chose the following task:

task #12149: please delete master branch for FreeON project

https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?12149

(Note I chose this old task mainly because the others are quite
similar).

My answer will be:

Hello Nico,

I am writing you concerning the Savannah administration task#12149 (I am
helping with the tasks there).

You have the required git instructions available here:

http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit

-----
*Removing a branch*

We don't really like this, but there's a way to remove remote
branches. We don't like it because this allow project members to
potentially remove free software from Savannah, willingly or by
mistake. This is mitigated by the fact it is very easy to push back
changes.

When removing a branch, only its reference is removed, and the commit
are still reachable by their identifiers. However, Savannah may prune
unreachable commits (git gc), so don't count on this.

To remove a branch:

git push origin :mybranch

[...]
-----

Before to try this, please create just in case another branch remotely:

git push origin master:backup

Then continue:

git push origin :master (this will delete the master branch remotely)

And finally push it back:

git push origin master (this will bring it back)

(You can of course delete the backup branch following the same method, once
you pushed master).

That should work.

If still not working, please let us know.

Regards,

Adrian.

1 - http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToBecomeASavannahHacker