Hello, Ayushman; could you not top-post?

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 08:23:56PM +0530, Ayushman Tripathi wrote:
> I used this quote `groups` because in the latest MySQL version, groups is a
> reserved keyword. So, when I was trying to set up a development environment,
> I got so many errors related to this.

This is a separate issue, and it isn't clear how to deal with it;
ultimately, we may stop supporting MySQL. IIRC Bob said its free
version wasn't properly supported, and its manual is proprietary.

Meanwhile, you can use MariaDB.

> I'll try to make these changes very shortly.

Thank you!

> And yes, I'm working with the Savannah volunteers to implement its backend,

I wonder who those volunteers are.

> which is to update the sv_groups.in
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/administration/savane.git/tree/backend/accounts/sv_groups.in>
> and Git.pm.in,
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/administration/savane.git/tree/lib/Savane/Git.pm.in>and

I agree that these steps are needed, but setting up the repositories
on VCS servers won't make www.{non,}gnu.org serve those pages,
and it won't make Git work flawlessly; those are things that are
the most important to do---they can't be done by volunteers,
unlike all the rest.

> I set an independent database field, `homepage_vcs`, which stores the value
> of the vcs used, which can be git, cvs, etc. With this approach, if in the
> future we want to add other VCS support, it will be much easier and more
> clear.

This is exactly what I highly recommend against.  Adding a dependence
on a new column is a very intrusive step, and we definitely don't
want to break compatibility with any new feature like this.