Can you check if the list config (domains, etc) is correct?

The domains/gnu.org file is there.

    In the perl script, namely, we pass the list domain to Mailman (so
    the Mailman virtual config kicks in).

host_name on the General Options page is set to gnu.org.
Is anything else supposed to happen?

    Maybe you can use the post-creation domain fixing commands from
    https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/ListServer

What creates the actual MTA aliases?  Was newlist hacked locally to do
that?  I don't see anything in mycreate_list.pl which does it.

Mail still apparently isn't getting delivered; I've sent a couple test
msgs, but
/var/mailman/archives/private/www-commits.mbox/www-commits.mbox
doesn't exist, so I don't think they went anywhere.

Anyway, it's no problem to delete the list and let you guys create it
if that's the easiest way to recover.  I can resubscribe the few people
who have already managed to join.

Thanks, sorry,
karl