Hi, Karl!

On 12/12/2012 12:07 AM, Karl Berry wrote:

>     The problem is how to manage that file with addresses.
>
> How about a local file on fencepost (only, not checked in to savannah),
> readable only to the gnun user/group?  Presumably that's where the cron
> job will run in the end, right?

Quite right.

It is desirable to make that list of addresses write-accessible to all team
members; if the file were maintained on fencepost, a fencepost account
would be needed in order to modify it. we certainly don't want to grant
fencepost accounts just for this purpose, and I think accessing fencepost
(that is, using ssh and editing the file remotely) could be essentially
inconvenient or even hard for some members.

> I can't think of any normal features on savannah that will help maintain
> a private file.  We could do something special to make a directory only
> readable to a certain user or group, but I don't really see how that
> would help.

My idea was about private tracker items: they are only visible to
and writable by the members of the group when they are logged in.
as I understand it, the missing bit (provided that GNUN is made
a member of the group) is the possibility to read those items
non-interactively.