>> A friendly poke that this issue is still unsolved :)
>
> I'm sorry.  I'm the one who was helping with the task and I have stalled a
> little bit on the issue.  There just always seems to be higher priority
tasks.

>> > It's been a few months now and I would really love to get going with
>> > the GitHub mirror of FreeType before GitHub becomes unusable due to
>> > M$ ... ;P Can we agree on a way to directly mirror the repository in
>> > a server hook (simple + easy)?
>
> Obviously at the moment working on the current abuse problem is the higher
> priority task.  All I can say is that after I try to mitigate the current
> problem then I will look again at the mirroring task.

Of course, the abuse/attack issue is of higher priority!

> Note that this is something that anyone could do from a 3rd party server
at
> any time.  They could always pull from one and push to the other.  Cron
would
> be sufficient.  But they could even use a diff-mail hook to trigger the
action
> upon event so that it happens rather quickly when there is something
> committed.  That is one of the reasons I have put this on a lower priority
> than other things.

I know; however, using a server that mirrors 24/7 using cron jobs means that
FreeType has to invest in some kind of infrastructure (or 3rd party
service).  This is another point of failure, and, in addition, this is also
a computing overhead since changes in FreeType's repository usually don't
happen often;  a handful of commits a day seem like a good day.  Due to all
that, using crons for this task feels dirty to me.

Diff-mail-hooks are definitely an option to tackle some of the issues with
cron jobs but the result is still a more complicated infrastructure for
FreeType that I would love to avoid.  Let's just talk again as soon as the
other important issues are solved;  I would appreciate a solution that means
no overhead for FreeType and next-to-no overhead for you ... simple + easy
:)

Armin