Richard Stallman wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
>   > The project "remotecontrol" is an official GNU project as listed in
>   > the maintainers file.  Stephen H. Dawson is the official maintainer
>   > for "remotecontrol"[1].  That listing was posted by Stephen H. Dawson
>   > as a "News" entry in the project's news feed on Savannah[2].
>
> Was he the original maintainer of that package?  If not who was the
> original maintainer?

Yes.  Stephen H. Dawson was the original maintainer.

The archival copy of your communication dubbing Remote Control a GNU
package with Stephen H. Dawson as the maintainer is available[1].  He
made a reply at that time.

[1]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/private/savannah-hackers-private/2012-December/002496.html

> Have you ever talked with him?

No.  Not that I recall.

I happen to see a lengthy interview[2] with him in the licensing
section of the FSF web however.

[2] https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/interview-with-gnu-remotecontrol

> Is he still doing work on the package?

Up through the most recent development he appears to have been an
active contributor.  The most recent development appears to have been
around two years ago.  I am not familiar with this project but see
this by looking at the subversion project version control history[3].

[3] https://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/remotecontrol/

Bob