Well... sure?

Take my own case: I signed up on Savannah because I saw that I could
potentially contribute to code I care about, but not specifically project xyz
that I intended to comment on right away.  I wanted to watch, see how it is
done and make sure that my first contribution was actually useful.  So I added
skills, bookmarked some cool stuff and otherwise was idle.

I was also inattentive and didn't read the message about what it takes to be
considered active.  So my account got harvested.  I assumed this was a
bug/crash/other that ate my account.  So I signed up again.  I did this whole
cycle several times and finally reached out on #savannah to figure out what
was up.  An automated email telling me what was coming would have moved me to
fix it.

I agree that keeping spammers out is vital, but the story above could easily
have ended with the new user getting burned out on the whole process and just
walking away.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?109838>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/