It worked great for what I wanted, it called out to a script that found a
random mp3 and retuirned that filename and path. In fact, I'm still using that
script with liquidsoap today haha
July 25, 2021 11:56 PM, "Michael Z Freeman" <mich...@michaelzfreeman.org
(mailto:mich...@michaelzfreeman.org?to=%22Michael%20Z%20Freeman%22%20<mich...@michaelzfreeman.org>)>
 wrote:
Thanks. Can you remember what this software was ?

Yes to "can't really tell the difference". A lot of the music streams I listen
to are almost certainly re-compressing mp3's and its usually "good enough". But
I'm thinking of VBR. Mp3's can be joined together if the frame boundary is
taken into account. Although if that technically makes a final joined file
"VBR" I'm not sure yet.

------ Original Message ------
From: j...@jakebriggs.com (mailto:j...@jakebriggs.com)
To: "Michael Z Freeman" <mich...@michaelzfreeman.org
(mailto:mich...@michaelzfreeman.org)>; savonet-users@lists.sourceforge.net
(mailto:savonet-users@lists.sourceforge.net)
Sent: 25/07/2021 12:51:14
Subject: Re: [Savonet-users] Joining together multiple mp3's with vary bitrates
without transcoding ?

 I can't say I've done this with liquadsoap, but I did find some software that
would stream untranscoded mp3s to icecast that worked great for a few days but
choke on certain mp3s. I could never work out exactly which ones but icecast
didn't like the sudden format changes. I resigned myself to just transcoding
the mp3s to a high bitrate and I've been doing that for years and I cannot tell
the difference really....
On 25 July 2021 10:45:10 PM NZST, Michael Z Freeman