[Ed. I'm re-posting this, since it looks like I made a stupid typo
the first time, which lead to the munging of the message's headers.
Sorry for the inconvenience.  This one should be correct...  KRvW]

an interesting paper. the authors evidently have made MOPS an addon
package to GCC, which is something i've advocated before (make tools easy
to use and integrated with the build environment).

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~hchen/paper/ndss04.html

Authors
Hao Chen, Drew Dean, and David Wagner.

Source
Proceedings of the 11th Annual Network and Distributed System Security
Symposium (NDSS), San Diego, CA, February 4--6, 2004.

Abstract

Implementation bugs in security-critical software are pervasive. Several
authors have previously suggested model checking as a promising means to
detect improper use of system interfaces and thereby detect a broad class
of security vulnerabilities. In this paper, we report on our practical
experience using MOPS, a tool for software model checking
security-critical applications. As examples of security vulnerabilities
that can be analyzed using model checking, we pick five important classes
of vulnerabilities and show how to codify them as temporal safety
properties, and then we describe the results of checking them on several
significant Unix applications using MOPS. After analyzing over one million
lines of code, we found more than a dozen new security weaknesses in
important, widely-deployed applications. This demonstrates for the first
time that model checking is practical and useful for detecting security
weaknesses at large scale in real, legacy systems.

________
jose nazario, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://monkey.org/~jose/                http://infosecdaily.net/