Jeff,

On Apr 7, 2005 11:00 AM, Jeff Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I would think this might work, but I - if I ran a software development
> > company - would be very scared about signing that contract... Even if
> > I did everything right, who's to say I might not get blamed? Anyway,
> > insurance would end up being the solution.
>
> What you *should* be scared of is a contract that's silent about security.

If you're silent you can claim ignorance :D

But of course, I agree. "Security" should be mentioned under the part
of applications "Working Right".

What I meant I would be scared of, however, is that if the contract
didn't fully specify what I would be taking responsibility for. I.e. I
could be blamed if some misconfiguration on the server allowed a user
to run my tool/component as admin and enter some information or do
whatever.

The contract would have to be specific (technical?) so-as to avoid
problems like this. But I presume you have had far more experience
with these issues than I have... can you share any w.r.t to problems
like that?

Because I can imagine [if I wasn't ethical] trying to blame a security
problem in My Big Financial Website on a 3rd party tool if I could.

> Courts will have to interpret (make stuff up) to figure out what the two
> parties intended.  I strongly suspect courts will read in terms like "the
> software shall not have obvious security holes".  They will probably rely on
> documents like the OWASP Top Ten to establish a baseline for trade practice.
>
> Contracts protect both sides.  Have the discussion.  Check out the OWASP
> Software Security Contract Annex for a
> template.(http://www.owasp.org/documentation/legal.html).

Yes, I've read the before, and even discussed it with you! :)

-- Michael