On 5/4/06, Dinis Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Wall, Kevin wrote:

> Also, from the results of your test, it seems to indicate that SOME TYPE
> of verification is taking place, but if all you did was change a few
> ARBITRARY bytes in the .class file, I don't think that proves the
> byte code verifier is being being run in it's entirety.
I agree with this analysis and think that the error on David's test was
caused by a malformed bytecode instruction
> It's entirely possibly that the (new 1.5) default just does some
> surface level of byte code verification (e.g., verify that everything
> is legal "op codes" / byte code)
Well, some level of verification (or bytecode check) must always occur
during the conversion from bytecode to native code (but this has nothing
to do with type safety)
> before HotSpot starts crunching
> on it and that this works differently if either the '-verify' or
> '-noverify' flags are used. E.g., suppose that '-verify' flag, does
> some deeper-level analysis, such as checks to ensure type safety, etc,
> whereas the '-noverify' doesn't even validate the byte codes are
> legal op codes or that the .class file has a legal format. This might
> even make sense because checking for valid file format and valid
> Java "op codes" ought to be fairly "cheap" checks compared to the
> deeper analysis required for things like type safety.

I am a little bit confused here, isn't Java an open platform and almost
Open Source?

The source for the j2se sdk is available (i.e. all the classes) and
the source for the runtime is available as well, but under a
different, special license.

If so, shouldn't issues like this be quite well documented?

Actually, the verification process is documented here:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/html/ClassFile.doc.html#88597

-- Michael