Nice discussion.
It arose years ago when software development managers typically had
NO experience in software development, but were thought to be good
managers.  Many disasters ensued.  The other side of the coin is that
good developers are often TERRIBLE managers.  I once wrote
  Psychosocial Implications of Computer Software Development and Use:
  Zen and the Art of Computing
    in Theory and Practice of Software Technolgoy
    D. Ferrari, M. Bolognani, and J. Goguen (editors),
    North-Holland, 1983, pages 221-232.
An earlier version appeared in Software Engineering Notes, and Will
Tracz may even have that online by now.

The bottom line is that you need people with well developed and
coordinated LEFT- and RIGHT-brained abilities innately.  Interviewing
someone to be a system-oriented developer is very difficult unless
the interviewer has deep knowledge of system-oriented development.

Read my DARPA CHATS report on Principled Assuredly Trustworthy
Composable Architectures.  Your interviewers should have read and
understood the essence of that report before being trusted to select
good applicants.
  http://www.csl.sri.com/neumann/chats4.html or pdf or ps

Good luck!  P