On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Robin Sheat wrote:

> It is important to note that there is no goal of teaching students to go off
> and be safe programmers. Computer science is seen to a reasonable extent to
> be a theoretical persuit. Algorithms are covered, GC methods, heuristical
> searchs, and so on. That many students from this tend to go off and become
> programmers is almost seen the same as if they went off and became plumbers,
> just much more common. They are, of course, expected to hang around and
> become academics ;)

CS degree brings you to the academic world, and makes a scietist of
you. Many go that route to become, coders.

You don't teach programming at an EDU.

As they are supposed to be scientists, I see no reason why this training
can't be done with correct programming in mind. Teaching people how to
code wrongly just to teach them later how it sid one correctly and slower,
is a silly idea.

It's not a bad idea as a conentrated specialized course, it is a silly
idea as far as the actual original teaching goes, that is equivalent to
patches rather than no vulnerabilities.

        Gadi.