This strikes me as largely meaningless, bordering on good news. More
bugs found = more bugs fixed = more secure software.

I dont really think you can compare the numbers from 2001 and 2006
though. There's way more people looking for bugs now than there were
in 2001. Maybe there were more bugs around in 2001 as secure coding
practises still weren't well known, and security was nowhere as
mainstream as it is now, so your average developer was less aware of
secure coding practises and techniques.

Also, nowadays people rush to disclose vulnerabilites, no matter how
minor they may be. There were plenty of vulnerabilites discovered in
2001 that weren't publicly disclosed, and some that probably still
remain undisclosed.

I would be interested to see what conclusions you can actually draw
from these figures (really).