Though I share Steve's sentiments on the anti-researcher bias, and I
agree with Gary's yin-yang conclusion, I really hate the question itself.

The disclosure question itself *presumes* that the current state of the
industry (defective products) is economically efficient.  The premise
absolves vendors *and* customers of any role or responsibility in
improving efficiency [I'm of the opinion that organic security would be
economically beneficial].

The question presumes that The Issue with vulnerabilities is either
squelching the researchers (the researcher as pimp view) or promoting
detailed disclosures (the researcher as super hero view).

I am much more interested in why vendors make defective products and why
customers accept this level of quality, and lots of related questions.

So, in reference to Gary's "breaking story," why was the Gary McGraw
automaton not able to deal with the icy walk?  Is the severe structural
damage and hours of surgical correction more cost effective than what
any anti-ice protections would have cost?  Those are the Good Questions.
  Asking whether the disclosure of the icy exploit is good or bad is the
Wrong Question.

Stuart

--
Stuart Moore