From: Gary McGraw [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 10:50 AM
To: McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT)
Cc: SC-L@securecoding.org
Subject: RE: [SC-L] How big is the market?

I'm sorry James, but I have to respectfully disagree about the vendor
thing.  Perhaps the tools vendors target the "information protection"
people, but at Cigital we sell services to software execs (in huge
companies) who are way up the food chain.

Software security is small, and we need to emphasize the growth and get
people interested.  This goes for everyone who reads this list.  To
continue our impressive growth as a field, we need to continue to build.

I do agree with you that people need to write more for developers (but I
hope they pick better places than JDJ to publish in).  Toward that end,
check out the "Building Security In" department in IEEE Security &
Privacy magazine <http://www.computer.org/portal/site/security/>.  Also
check out Brian Chess's new book "Secure Programming with Static
Analysis" when it comes out in June.  However, for the most part, it's
critical to understand that workaday developers can't wrangle enough
budget to tackle software security.

BTW, I posted a reprise to the darkreading column on justice league
today:
http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague/
http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=122253&WT.svl=column1_1

All told, I am very optimistic about our field, but don't think we can
rest on our laurels at all yet.

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet