I really hope that this email doesn't generate a ton of offline emails and hope
that folks will talk publicly. It has been my latest thinking that the value of
tools in this space are not really targeted at developers but should be
targeted at executives who care about overall quality and security folks who
care about risk. While developers are the ones to remediate, the accountability
for secure coding resides elsewhere.

It would seem to be that tools that developers plug into their IDE should be
free since the value proposition should reside elsewhere. Many of these tools
provide "audit" functionality and allow enterprises to gain a view into their
portfolio that they previously had zero clue about and this is where the value
should reside.

If there is even an iota of agreement, wouldn't it be in the best interest of
folks here to get vendors to ignore developer specific licensing and instead
focus on enterprise concerns?

destroy all copies.