Dear Ben, having just been at SXSW Interactive (I live in Austin, TX) I did not
see many
discussions that pay attention to security, or any other software engineering
oriented concerns,
explicitly.

There was a discussion of scalability for web services that featured the
developers from digg,
Flickr, WordPress, and Media Temple. I got there about half-way through but the
discussion with
the audience was about tools and methods to handle high traffic loads. There
was a question
about build and deployment strategies and I asked about unit testing (mixed
answers - some love
it, some think it's strong-arm micro-mgt (go figure)).

There was a session on OpenID and OAuth (open authorization) standards and
implementation. These
discussions kind of assume the use of secure transports but since I couldn't
stay the whole time
I don't know if secure coding was addressed explicitly.

The main developer attendees at SXSW would call themselves designers and I
would guess many of
them are doing web development in PHP, Ruby, etc. I think the majority of
attendees would not
classify themselves as software programmers.

To me it seems very much like at craft culture. That doesn't mean that a track
on how to develop
secure web services wouldn't be popular. In fact it might be worth proposing
one for next year.

If you want to talk further, please get in touch.

-Bill Anderson
praxis101.com