Aloha Jim,

I agree that security bugs should not necessarily take precedence over other
bugs.  Most of the initiatives that we observed cycled ALL security bugs into
the standard bug tracking system (most of which rank bugs by some kind of
severity rating).  Many initiatives put more weight on security bugs...note the
term "weight" not "drop everything and run around only working on security."
See the CMVM practice activities for more.

The BSIMM helps to measure and then evolve a software security initiative.  The
top N security bugs activity is one of an arsenal of tools built and used by
the SSG to strategically guide the rest of their software security initiative.
Making this a "top N bugs of any kind" list might make sense for some
organizations, but is not something we would likely observe by studying the SSG
and the software security initiative.  Perhaps we suffer from the "looking for
the keys under the streetlight" problem.

gem

On 3/19/09 2:31 PM, "Jim Manico" <j...@manico.net> wrote:

> The top N lists we observed among the 9 were BUG lists only.  So that
> means that in general at least half of the defects were not being
> identified on the "most wanted" list using that BSIMM set of activities.

This sounds very problematic to me. There are many standard software bugs
that are much more critical to the enterprise than just security bugs. It
seems foolhardy to do risk assessment on security bugs only - I think we
need to bring the worlds of software development and security analysis
together more. Divided we (continue to) fail.

And Gary, this is not a critique of just your comment, but of WebAppSec at
large.

- Jim