Great idea but why would you say CISSP is meaningless or MCSE is
meaningless? Certifications are like technology. They have a place where
they fit. CISSP became so popular and prolific because of the vast field of
coverage (10 domains) that a certified practitioner had to study,
understand, relate to and practice if given a situation.

I am strongly against any certification that touts that you would be able to
change the world for good. As silly as it might sound, there are quite a
handful of these. On the other hand, companies like CISCO and Microsoft
offer certification that allow "professional" to get certified and
demonstrate their ability to understand and take over the responsibility of
the said position that the certificate applies to.

Now, if you make a case against certifications just because it has become so
easy to cram overnight and get certified in the morning, then that's not
justice. There are 2 extremes to the spectrum and you see only 1. It's like
giving the entire security industry (professionals with certifications
mostly) becuase of a few (thousand) individuals who don't prove to be laible
candidates to have obtained that certification. You can compare it to how
the world panned out the meaning of the holy word "Hacker" to what it is
today.

Prasad

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Jeremy Epstein
<jeremy.j.epst...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> I'm pleased to announce the creation of LAMN, the Legion Against
> Meaningless certificatioNs.  If you don't have a CISSP, CISM, MCSE, or EIEIO
> - and you're proud of it - this group is for you.
>
> You can join LAMN on LinkedIn by searching in the "groups" area.  Unlike so
> many other certifications, LAMN doesn't charge fees, require outrageously
> overpriced exams, or demand check-the-box continuing education.
>
> Hope to see many people joining this group - and feel free to pass this
> along!
> --Jeremy
>
> P.S. After you join the group, you can proudly write your name <John Doe>,
> LAMN - which conveniently also stands for Letters After My Name.  I can't
> recall who suggested the term to me, but would be happy to give credit if
> someone wants to step forward and claim credit.
> as a free, non-commercial service to the software security community.

Thought for the day -
"Emails can hurt feelings. If this one did, please ignore your feelings."