I spent a fair bit of time doing stuff relating to voting systems,
which all have embedded systems.  (I am not one of the experts who
pulls them apart, lest anyone think I'm claiming credit for them.)
They are supposedly closed systems, but every time someone competent
has tried to attack them, they've been successful - even if there are
no published APIs or documents, all of them have attack surfaces.  It
might be something like the ability to insert a card in a PC slot (as
in the Princeton attack on Diebold touchscreen systems), a USB stick
(some of the UC Santa Barbara attacks - I think that was ES&S
touchscreen machines), Harri Hursti's attacks via a memory card on
Diebold optical scanners, Princeton's attacks via a proprietary memory
card on Sequoia systems, etc.  (There are others too - the machines in
my county use USB sticks and run Windows CE, so I believe they're
susceptible to even trivial attacks via an autorun.)  I also worked
with a team that did some attacks on another embedded system in a
voting machine, although we didn't get far enough to publish results
before we ran out of students to do the grunt work.

So I'd 1000% agree with Arian - not only is assuming you're safe
dangerous, but it's also wrong.

There's lots of attacks on other types of embedded systems - there
have been a few against electric power control systems, water control
systems, etc.  And there are more that haven't seen the light of
day.... I just heard about a very serious attack the other day that
hasn't ever made it into the news.

--Jeremy