Great points Karen!  We can't prove a program is "secure" in the same vein.

The danger I am spouting off about is the idea that we would solve the software security problem if we just take a more "scientific" or "mature" (or whatever) approach. I think those can definitely reduce the risk, but I don't think it will reach the goal.

I am all for getting 50% of the way there. That is a lot better than being 0% or even 25% of the way there! I am just VERY concerned that if we try to sell management the idea that we are now taking a "scientific" approach (or whatever the term), we will end up with implied promises that will lead them to expect perfection, which won't come. They will likely ignore all our disclaimers that we are only seeking a partial solution to what we can solve, at least in the current state of thinking.

Getting them to even take any action is a challenge in many companies, so some could argue my concerns are foolish. I think they are important because you want to make sure any buy-in you eventually get expects the right things. If you don't do this, you will end up in an even worse position down the road.

--

Brad Andrews
RBA Communications

Quoting "Goertzel, Karen [USA]" <goertzel_ka...@bah.com>:

Actually, we can't prove programs are bug free if by "bug" we also mean all possible anomalous behaviours. My colleagues keep pointing this out to me when I suggest that we should start leveraging the computational power of computing grids to analyze complex software the same way other researchers are using grids to develop models of the natural world, the human genome, etc. They keep quoting that bloke Kurt Gödel with his pesky little incompletness theorem as proof that 100% complete analysis of software cannot be done. Frankly, I'm beginning to think this is their excuse for not even trying to get me to the 50%. But the point is, even if you can do everything "right" in terms of building software to be vulnerability-free and behaviourally-benign, you apparently cannot achieve 100% verification that you've done so. Ergo, assurance can never be 100%.