All -

As you know, in the "trusting trust" attack, compilers can be subverted to
insert malicious Trojan horses into critical software... including themselves.
This turns out to be a nasty attack that's not easy to counter.

I've just released my draft PhD dissertation, "Fully Countering Trusting Trust
through Diverse Double-Compiling" (DDC), that describes how to counter the
"trusting trust" attack. More details, including the dissertation, are here:
 http://www.dwheeler.com/trusting-trust

On November 23, 2009, 1-3pm, I will be giving a public defense of this
dissertation.  If you're interested, please come!  It will be at George Mason
University, Fairfax, Virginia, Innovation Hall, room 105.

This 2009 dissertation significantly extends my previous 2005 ACSAC paper. For
example, I now have a formal proof that DDC is effective (the ACSAC paper only
had an informal justification). I also have additional demonstrations,
including one with GCC (to show that it scales up) and one with a maliciously
corrupted compiler (to show that it really does detect them in the real world).
The dissertation is also more general; the ACSAC paper only considered the
special case of a "self-parenting" compiler, while the dissertation eliminates
that assumption.

--- David A. Wheeler